Monday, July 28, 2008

Inspiration: Porter Hovey



I have fallen in love with every Polaroid picture featured in Porter Hovey. Every picture is so unique and has a quality that makes you want to stare at it all day!
I think my favorite thing about this collection of pictures is that most images showcase very mundane things and makes them seem glamorous.

One of my teachers once told me that in his later years, Walker Evans would stroll through his neighborhood each day and was so inspired by the little, familiar things that people, including himself took for granted like fire hydrants or small bushes; he decided to take pictures of these things and when printed, all of a sudden these things didn't seem so ordinary. When you know a place inside and out, you notice the little things that would seem trivial to an outsider.

I'm inspired to take a stroll through my neighborhood right now with a Polaroid camera in hand!

(Photos via Porter Hovey)

2 comments:

porter hovey said...

Thank you so much for such the wonderful compliments! I'm just speechless. You've really made my day.

Jessie Cacciola said...

LOVE this project, too! :)